Bank of America Celebration at the Station
Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 8 p.m.
LOCATED AT UNION STATION
Pershing & Main, Kansas City MO
Kansas City Symphony
Michael Stern, music director
The best Memorial Day Weekend event in the Midwest returns for its 13th rousing year. Music Director Michael Stern conducts a spectacular patriotic concert by the Kansas City Symphony, presented by Bank of America. This FREE performance is followed by Kansas City’s largest fireworks display. Picnic on the north lawn of the National WWI Museum at Liberty Memorial while enjoying fabulous pre-concert entertainment. Blankets and lawn chairs welcome. The Bush and Jamie Helzberg Instrument Petting Zoo and pre-concert entertainment begin at 3:30 p.m. Media support from KCPT Channel 19, Fox 4 and the Cumulus Radio Group.
More information to come, check back for updates!
Bank of America Celebration at the Station airs live on KCPT Public Television 19, and is repeated several times during Memorial Day Weekend and over the 4th of July Weekend. In addition, numerous public television stations throughout the region will rebroadcast Bank of America Celebration at the Station.
Special musical guests:
- The Elders – a six-piece Irish American folk rock band, that formed in Kansas City, Missouri in 1998
- U.S. Air Force Band of Mid-America Brass Ensemble — a group of 12 enlisted professional musicians with repertoire including symphonic band masterworks, traditional marches, modern compositions and jazz.
- TBD Community Music Groups performing preshow
Guests of honor:
- Senior Leadership from US Army Combined Arms Center Fort Leavenworth Kansas and Whiteman Air Force
- Jim Birdsall — a Vietnam veteran, who is known as the signature voice of Hallmark Hall of Fame, the CNBC network, NFL Films and Inside NASCAR on Showtime. Birdsall will serve as emcee and host.
- Missouri Army National Guard, Battery D, “Truman’s Own” — managing the firing of three cannons during the 1812 Overture.
- The Color Guard from the 9th Marine Corp Regiment Kansas City
- The Navy Operational Support Center Kansas City Honor Guard
- The Air Force Honor Guard from Whitman Air Force Base, Missouri
- U.S. Coast Guard Color Guard from PPC Topeka
Other noteworthy items for the 13th Annual Bank of American Celebration at the Station:
- This year the program will commemorate the 40th anniversary of the end of the Vietnam War
- Concurrent with the Vietnam War commemoration, the National WWI Museum is sponsoring the American Veteran Travelling Tribute, a 80% in size and 100% in content replica of the Vietnam Memorial the weekend of the event.
- The Kansas City Symphony concert program will include a photo montage on giant screens flanking the stage. The Northeast Kansas Chapter of Gold Star Mothers has organized the photo collection. A Gold Star Family Member is an individual whose loved one has died during a military conflict.
- The Kansas City Symphony will again sponsor the Kansas and Missouri Remembering Our Fallen exhibit — walls of photo montages inside Union Station created to honor and remember men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the Iraq or Afghanistan wars.
Kansas City Symphony media contacts:
- Jeff Barker, (816) 218-2626, email@example.com
- Beth Buchanan, (816) 218-2621, firstname.lastname@example.org
Event hashtag: #CelebrationKC
Event website: www.CelebrationAtTheStation.com
Event photos: https://www.kcsymphony.org/GalleryCtl/SectionAct/68
Event video: youtube.com/user/kcsymphony
KCPT 2012 broadcast, part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYJP4kcWG98
KCPT 2012 broadcast, part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqOvBthFQGc
- Kansas City Symphony Instrument Petting Zoo — an interactive display for children and their families to see and hear the different instruments of the orchestra — up close and personal!
- Community Drum Circle — all are invited to participate in pre-concert Drum Circles at 4:15 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. to celebrate community through rhythm and music. Participants can bring their own instruments or make one at the Instrument Petting Zoo.
- Food trucks — Many of Kansas City’s most popular food trucks add to the festival atmosphere by selling a wide variety of food and beverages.
Additional questions, contact us.
Questions about Celebration at the Station? Contact us