WE HONOR OUR FALLEN, WE CELEBRATE OUR FREEDOM
Sunday, May 28, 2023
Held at Union Station Kansas City and the National WWI Museum and Memorial
Kansas City’s favorite Memorial Day tradition! Join the Kansas City Symphony for Bank of America Celebration at the Station. The Symphony’s FREE concert event takes place Sunday, May 28, 2023 on the South Plaza of Union Station Kansas City and the North Lawn of the National WWI Museum and Memorial – both near Pershing Road and Main Street, just south of Downtown Kansas City, Mo. The festivities begin at 5 p.m. and include more than 20 food trucks, live pre-concert entertainment on the main stage with Drive On and the Back Alley Brass Band, plus various vendors and booths in the Veterans Place, sponsored by Kansas City’s National Security Campus – managed by Honeywell FM&T. Be sure to visit the “Remembering our Fallen Wall” for Kansas and Missouri inside Union Station.
Then at 8 p.m., Music Director Michael Stern leads the Kansas City Symphony in a concert featuring special guests The Resilient performing works by Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen and more. The Resilient is a rock band primarily composed of severely wounded U.S. combat veterans and they proudly return to Kansas City after first performing with the Symphony in 2013. The Kansas City Symphony also performs iconic patriotic works by John Williams, Aaron Copland and John Phillip Sousa, plus crowd favorites Armed Forces Salute and the 1812 Overture with live cannons. The grand finale features a stunning fireworks display accompanied by your Kansas City Symphony. It’s the perfect kick-off to your summer!
Let’s continue the Celebration! Be sure to watch the re-broadcast of Bank America Celebration at the Station with the Kansas City Symphony on Independence Day (July 4th) Weekend on Kansas City PBS, Channel 19.1. And, viewers around the region also can watch the re-broadcast on their local Public Television station, dates and times to be announced.
- Bunker Hill
- St Louis
- Iowa (entire state network)
- Nebraska (entire state network)
We thank our friends in the community for participating
CLICK HERE and you could win a pair of tickets to an upcoming KC Symphony Classical Series concert!
Stephenson – Fanfare for Democracy
Smith – “The Star-Spangled Banner”
Jager – Esprit de Corps
Adolphus Hailstork – Fanfare on Amazing Grace
Simon/Naughtin – “America”
The Resilient Original – “Accept the End”
Croce/Naughtin – “Time in a Bottle”
Cohen/Bloom – “Hallelujah”
Copland – Rodeo (2 movements)
Berstein/Ramin – “America”
Various/Naughtin – Armed Forces Salute
Traditional – Taps
John Williams – “Hymn to the Fallen” from Saving Private Ryan
Berlin – “God Bless America”
Tchaikovsky – 1812, Overture solennelle, op. 49
Fillmore – Americans We
Williams – “Midway March”
Sousa – The Stars and Stripes Forever
Be sure to bring…
- Sunscreen if arriving during the afternoon.
- A picnic blanket or chairs, as long as you are not blocking the view of others.
- Things to eat, drink and snacks.
We ask that you do not bring…
- Glass containers
- Parking for the event is available in multiple surface lots and garages around the event site, including Union Station’s West Yards Garage and surface lots near the Hallmark complex, south of Crown Center.
- Most parking is $20. Union Station’s West Yards Garage only accepts credit cards. Some lot operators only accept cash. We advise you to bring both a credit card AND cash, just in case.
- Parking is permitted only in designated parking spots. Parking on the grass in private and public land, including Penn Valley Park, is strictly prohibited.
- Attendees also may park anywhere along Downtown KC’s streetcar route and ride the streetcar directly to Union Station. The streetcar will also run later than usual, to make sure you can get back to your parking place after the concert event.
- The designated drop-off/pick-up and ride share lane is along the south curb of eastbound Pershing Road just before Kessler (accessed from Broadway Blvd). Set your GPS for 215 W. Pershing Road, Kansas City, MO 64108.
- 2Hot2Handle BBQ KC
- 314 Novelties
- Irvzilla’s Hawaiian grill
- Jerusalem Cafe
- Jus Chill’n & Grill’n
- K&C Concessions
- KC Fooditude
- KC Kona Ice
- KC Whip and Company
- Kcpoppers ll , LLC
- La Hamburguesa Loca
- Ragusa’s Italian Crepe Cafe
- Smashers: Fresh Fruit Chillers & The Nutty Bavarian
- Street Wings
- Sugar Daddy’s Lemonade/Scimeca’s Italian Sausage
- Sweet Peaches Cobblers
- Taste of Brazil
- Tasty Unicorn
- The Food Spot
- The Hungry Hatch
- Twisted Taters
- Weenies & Paninis
Food vendors may apply to participate at this year’s event HERE.
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Veterans Community Project
- St. Michael’s Veterans Center
- VFW Post 7397
- Kansas City Parks & Recreation
4 STAR PARTNERS
3 STAR PARTNERS
2 STAR PARTNERS
- Lead Bank
- KC Bier Co.
- Breakthru Beverage
- Chappelow Events
- Restless Spirits
- West Bottoms Whiskey Co.
- J. Rieger & Co.
- Team Fidelis
- Charlie 22 Outdoors
- Department of Missouri VFW
- Department of Veteran Affairs
- Veterans Community Project
- St. Michaels Veterans Center
- VFW Post 7397, Lenexa, Kansas
- FOX 4 KANSAS CITY – WDAF-TV
- 101 The Fox
- 94.9 KCMO-FM
- 95.7 The Vibe
- 105.1 The X
- KCMO Talk Radio 710 AM and 103.7 FM
- 102.5 Jack FM
- 107.3 KC’S R & B and Hip Hop