The Kansas City Symphony is a proud partner of the National Alliance for Audition Support.
For more information on this initiative, click here.
The Kansas City Symphony announces the following auditions:
Audition Dates: October 2-3, 2023
Application Deadline: The application deadline for this audition has now passed.
Section First Violin
Audition Dates: January 29-30, 2024
Application Deadline: Friday, December 8, 2023
The Kansas City Symphony aspires to be a destination for the world’s best musicians. As the largest performing arts organization in the Kansas City region, the Symphony seeks to transform hearts, minds and communities through the power of symphonic music. During its 42-week season, the Symphony performs a wide variety of Classical subscription, pops, education, special, and community engagement concerts. In addition, the Kansas City Symphony performs for many productions of the Lyric Opera of Kansas City and the Kansas City Ballet.
The Kansas City Symphony performs in the beautiful Helzberg Hall at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, a space internationally recognized for its world-class acoustics. Kansas City and its suburbs have been ranked as among the best places to live in the USA, and the KC metro area is estimated to have cost of living that is 85-90% of the national average. Kansas City is remarkably sophisticated, has very strong support for the arts, a generous philanthropic community, easy traffic and great restaurants.
The Kansas City Symphony has an enviable record of financial stability, and in 2017 completed a $55 million endowment campaign that will bring the Symphony’s endowment to approximately $100 million. The Kansas City Symphony also has long-term stability in its artistic and administrative staff, and an excellent and highly-engaged Board of Directors. The culture of the Kansas City Symphony is expressed in our core values of excellence, trust, and respect, and there are outstanding relations between the musicians, staff, and board.
Benefits for all orchestra positions include:
- 42 week season
- 2023-2024 season annual base salary is $69,186 (including $33/wk Electronic Media Guarantee)
- An additional week of salary is available to each musician for participation in the popular Community Connections program. Participation is optional.
- Health Insurance coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield with $0 in-network deductible, $20 in-network co-pays, and an annual out-of-pocket maximum of only $750.
- Dental, Life & ADD, Instrument, and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Up to 12-week paid maternity/paternity leave
- 19 days paid vacation per season
- Three personal days per season, accumulating to 9
- One relief week per season, plus 4 discretionary relief days
- 5.995% Pension Contribution to the AFM-EPF
- 2% Contribution to 403b with additional matching provisions available up to another 1.5%
Since the 2010-2011 season, the annual base compensation has increased by 52.5%.
Audition times will be assigned upon receipt of both a résumé and a deposit check (returned at the audition or destroyed if cancellation is received by one week prior). No repertoire will be given over the phone.
The Audition Committee of the Kansas City Symphony reserves the right to dismiss immediately any candidate not meeting the highest standards.
The Kansas City Symphony is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer